Supporting and enhancing the Space Grant Consortia in every state to carry out education, research, and public outreach activities
The National Space Grant Foundation (NSGF) is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose purpose is to support and enhance the Space Grant Consortia in every state to carry out education, research, and public outreach activities in science, mathematics, engineering, and technology and additional fields, related to space, aeronautics, aviation, and Earth system science. In pursuit of these purposes, the Foundation endeavors to:
- Increase the financial and governmental support available to Space Grant Consortia. The 52 Space Grant Consortia represent every state, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. Each consortium is made up of colleges, universities, businesses, and other private and public sector institutions - all working to further aerospace education and career training through:
- Supporting aerospace-related student scholarships, fellowships, and trainee-ships
- Providing support to faculty and students to develop career skills in aerospace-related fields
- Offering experiential learning opportunities aligned with NASA Strategic Enterprises
- Stimulating public interest in aerospace-related disciplines and lifelong learning through partnerships with educators at all levels, thus increasing public appreciation for the direct and indirect benefits of the U.S. space program
- Publicize the objectives and relevant activities of the Foundation.
- Seek to develop mutually beneficial relationships among private sector organizations, government agencies, colleges and universities.
- Never seeks to influence the activities of the local, state, and federal governments.